Out of the Otter Valley

A place where descendants of the White, Dyer, Carter, Paver and Bridle families of East Devon, and their connections, can swap information and communicate without maintaining complicated e-mail address lists.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

My Grandfather


This is my Grandfather Thomas Arthur Ham White taken in the 1920s. He was born at Houstern Farm, Otterton in 1899.
He was the eldest child of Thomas Carter White and Henrietta Martha Ham. He one of 7 children.
When he was 9 years old they moved to Hemyock. I remember him telling me that he helped his father drive the animals the 20 miles to the new house. His mother drove the horse and cart pulling the furniture and belongings and his sister a year younger drove a cart containing more belongings and the younger children. I don't think I could have walked that far when I was that age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home