William Henry Dunsford at Passaford
Found the following post on B-G Forums this evening:
"Thomas Bridle White of Passaford, Otterton
Does any body know of the White family living at Burnt Farm, Passaford, Otterton. My gt grandfather lived with them all his life, a William Henry Dunsford, as he was illegitimate and they seemed to have looked after him. I have his mother as Sophia Louisa Dunsford but would love to know why he was living with them, Thanks Trevena"
I have replied, saying that I would send out a call. I'll also ask Uncle Oliver to try to ask Madge or Hilda next time he phones them.
In the 1871 Census, William is living with the Whites, aged 2, Visitor. Aged 2 puts him at the same age as great-grandmother Sarah Ann White, so they obviously grew up as 'brother and sister'.
In the 1881 Census, William is still with the Whites, aged 12, Boarder.
In the 1891 Census, a William Dunsford is boarding with the Newbury family, at Sid Abbey Gardens, Sidbury, but with a birthplace not Otterton but Sidbury. (Trevena says that this is not him. Indeed, he and his brand new wife, Louisa Hayne SHAW, have been transcribed as "Cumford" and are living at Withycombe Raleigh.)
In 1901, William has a wife and children.
There is a Sophia L Dunsford in the 1861 census, in Sidmouth, aged 14, born in Australia. The NSW BDM has a Sophia L Dunsford born 1847 to Henry Dunsford and Mary. Further checks show that there was a brother, Henry, born in 1846.
Personal Note:
I have been a little distracted by poor health lately, and am going into retirement (for health reasons) as of 26th October 2007. That might just give me some time to do some more research, and be a bit more communicative than I have been of late.
"Thomas Bridle White of Passaford, Otterton
Does any body know of the White family living at Burnt Farm, Passaford, Otterton. My gt grandfather lived with them all his life, a William Henry Dunsford, as he was illegitimate and they seemed to have looked after him. I have his mother as Sophia Louisa Dunsford but would love to know why he was living with them, Thanks Trevena"
I have replied, saying that I would send out a call. I'll also ask Uncle Oliver to try to ask Madge or Hilda next time he phones them.
In the 1871 Census, William is living with the Whites, aged 2, Visitor. Aged 2 puts him at the same age as great-grandmother Sarah Ann White, so they obviously grew up as 'brother and sister'.
In the 1881 Census, William is still with the Whites, aged 12, Boarder.
In the 1891 Census, a William Dunsford is boarding with the Newbury family, at Sid Abbey Gardens, Sidbury, but with a birthplace not Otterton but Sidbury. (Trevena says that this is not him. Indeed, he and his brand new wife, Louisa Hayne SHAW, have been transcribed as "Cumford" and are living at Withycombe Raleigh.)
In 1901, William has a wife and children.
There is a Sophia L Dunsford in the 1861 census, in Sidmouth, aged 14, born in Australia. The NSW BDM has a Sophia L Dunsford born 1847 to Henry Dunsford and Mary. Further checks show that there was a brother, Henry, born in 1846.
Personal Note:
I have been a little distracted by poor health lately, and am going into retirement (for health reasons) as of 26th October 2007. That might just give me some time to do some more research, and be a bit more communicative than I have been of late.
Labels: Burnt House, Dunsford, Otterton, Passaford, White

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home